Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fewer International Adoptions

There is a story in the WI State Journal today about how 2007 was the lowest level of international adoptions since 1999 particularly because of cutbacks in China, Russia, and Guatemala. Ethiopian adoptions were the largest increase.

I totally understand that it makes the most sense for countries to encourage adoption internally. However, I don't understand why a country wouldn't want good people, who would respect their adopted children's connection to their homeland, from adopting.

I remember after they had that huge cyclone in Myanmar and they finally got some tv footage. Over 100,000 people died and so many children were left totally homeless and destitute. My husband and I turned to each other and thought that it was so sad that because the country was so closed off from the outside world, they would never let us adopt any of those kids. So they will suffer and many will die. I just don't get it.

I feel like we are proving ourselves as good strong people going through this process. We are proving our financial stability, emotional stability, good health, etc. All we want to do is love a child and provide them with a great life.

Off the soapbox now. Have to go get my Hep B shot, second in the series and drop off doctor forms.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog! I always wonder if people read my blog even though I don't have much to blog about until we get our referral. I'll be sure to follow along on your journey as well!